Skip to content

Trip to Da Capitol

May 28, 2010

Well, I woke up early Monday morning and climbed into my grandfather’s Porsche and drove to the airport, hopped on a plane, and flew to Washington, DC.

Several months ago my grandfather proposed going to DC to my brother and I, and we leaped at the idea. Two years previously we had driven to Pensacola, Florida, to go to the Naval Aviation Museum. This time was going to be for the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. Well, as things turned out, the snowmaggeddon blocked flights and traffic, so we had to ground(quite literally) our plans. Since then, it has always been on the agenda to do, and Saturday my grandfather told us we were going.

So we set off at 7:30(I had to get up at 4:30. Shudder) for Washington Dulles airport, and we arrived smoothly. We drove to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazey museum, where we gazed upon such aircraft as the Concorde, and the /Enola Gay/, which dropped the first atomic bomb. I am a flyboy, so this was great. We then rode a three-minute dogfight simulator, which flipped you upside down when you spun the aircraft around, and got 12 kills. When we did this again with my brother as the pilot, we made 6.

After watching an IMAX film and eating lunch, we drove to our hotel. The next day it was off to DC and the Air & Space. It was a blast, and just what I remembered from when I went when I was eight, plus more, of course. We saw all kinds of stuff, and the exhibts and such were fantastic. The coolest thing by far was the Apollo space suit with actual moon dust on it. Win.

Then we wandered out onto the Mall, gazed upon the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument. We then decided to walk up to the Spy Musuem a few blocks away. Once we got there we almost decided to catch a train and drive back to the hotel, but we gave it a go anyways. It was well worth it. The museum was immersive and extremely well designed. There was even stuff like a ventilation duct you could climb into and see if you could make it through quietly. It was great.

The only bad spots were losing track of my brother a bunch, and the fact that there was a crowd of noisy middle schoolers. At one point two chaps ran by me, hiding from a friend for some inane reason and shoved me out of the way. Ugh. I almost shoved back later on. They even accidentally knocked down a friend right in the middle of the hallway and giggled to death about it. I have to admit, a few of the girls weren’t too hard on the eyes, though. Towards the end, in the very cool cyber warfare exhbit, one of them walked by me and complemented me on my good ol’ trusty hat. Never fails. I was wearing my cute little monkey button, which may have contributed to the compliment. As if my head wasn’t big enough.

We then flew back the next morning, and I unfortunately contracted a cold over the trip. And let me tell you, descending was very unpleasant. My head has not cleared, even two days later. Once I got home, I flopped onto the couch and stayed there until bedtime. Even still, it was a great trip, and I had a blast. Note: We went to Five Guys Burgers and Fries while we were there. If you ever have a chance to visit this fine eatery, do it. I have always loved Five Guys, but since their roots are in that area, I thought I’d mention it.

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: